Walnuts are the rock star of the nut world.
Walnuts are one of the many nuts and simple ingredients we use at Extraordinary Snacks to create the healthy and delicious snacks we offer in the Winston-Salem, North Carolina area. We are a big fan of walnuts because of the many health benefits they have to offer, including:
- Omega-3 Fatty Acids– Improve brain health; reduce inflammation and cancer risk
- Omega-6 Fatty Acid (Linoleic acid)- Lowering of blood cholesterol levels, and thus, heart disease
- Polyphenols– Reduce the risk of heart disease
- Mono- and Polysaturated Fats– Lower risk of type 2 diabetes*
- Vitamin B7 (biotin)- Promotes healthier hair and hair growth
- Melatonin– Encourages better sleep and stress management
- Antioxidants– Help stop or limit damage of free radicals
- Copper– For heart health, as well as immune system function and maintaining nerve and bone health
- Folic acid– Prevents birth defects caused by folic acid deficiency
- Vitamin B6– Supports nerve health and boosts immune system
*Women who ate one ounce of walnuts at least five times a week, reduced their risk of diabetes by nearly 30% compared to women who never ate nuts. Source: Harvard School of Public Health.
Walnuts may be rich in calories and fat, but they aren’t to be blamed for an increased obesity risk. They are full of fiber and are energy-dense, so it takes very few to satisfy your hunger and boost your energy. Reach out to us today if you have questions about walnuts or any of the simple ingredients we use in our extraordinary snacks.