Cashews are more than just a pretty nut.
Cashews are one of the simple ingredients we use at Extraordinary Snacks in Winston-Salem, North Carolina. Many people elevate cashews as the “king of nuts” because of their decadent flavor and ability to be used in so many ways. The interesting thing about cashews is that, while they might seem buttery and perhaps a bit indulgent, they are actually cholesterol-free! They are loaded with plant-based proteins, vitamins, and minerals, including:
- Potassium, zinc, iron, calcium, and magnesium for healthy bones, muscles and immune health
- Copper for healthy skin, hair, immune health, collagen and red blood cells
- Vitamins C, E, K, riboflavin, thiamine, niacin and folic acid
- Phytochemicals and antioxidants, which neutralize free radicals
- Monounsaturated fats for heart health and lutein for eye health
- Tryptophan, a vital amino acid for behavior balancing, mood regulation, sleep improvement, and the reduction of stress, depression, and anxiety
It is interesting how the plant world works and how we’ve come to know cashews as a nut when it is really a seed. It grows at the bottom of a cashew apple pseudo-fruit on a tropical evergreen tree and is related to mangos and pistachios. Another surprising tidbit about cashews is that they originate in Brazil. And here’s a fun fact: Brazil nuts actually come from Bolivia!
Today, cashews are grown in many areas of the world, including Vietnam, India, Benin, Tanzania, South Africa, Australia, and other locations. The amazing tree produces more than cashews, as the apple’s juice is used for beverages and the nut shell liquid is used in industrial processes.
Let us know if you have any questions about cashews or any of the simple ingredients we use for our extraordinary snacks.