Snacking at work may seem innocent. After all, another handful of something here and there can’t hurt. But snacking throughout the day without intention can quickly derail your healthy eating plans. If you’re struggling to find healthy snacks and stick to a snacking routine at work, the following tips can help:
1. Plan Out Your Snacks—Every day before you leave for work, plan out the healthy snacks you’ll eat and approximate times for when you’ll eat them. This will keep you from meandering by the vending machine in the mid-afternoon looking for a little pick-me-up.
2. Add in a Little Protein—Protein can help satisfy your hunger and help you feel fuller for longer. Choose a few healthy snacks for your day that include a little protein, either in the form of some peanut butter or a few nuts & seeds.
3. Go for Snacks that Won’t Spoil—There’s nothing worse than opening up your snack and realizing that it’s gone bad. Choose shelf-stable healthy snacks that you can stock up on and easily keep in a desk drawer without worry of spoiling.
4. Drink Water with Every Snack—Not only can liquids help you feel full, but they can also give you a boost of energy along with your snack. Every time you have a snack at work, make a point to drink a full glass of water along with it.
5. Take a Break—When you take time to have a snack at work, take a minute to actually enjoy it. Practice mindful eating by focusing on what you’re eating and eliminating distractions until you’re done.
Eating a series of healthy snacks during your workday can boost your energy, help you focus, and allow you to form better snacking habits. Still looking for better snacks to enjoy at your desk? Check out our selection of 100% natural, gluten-free, grain-free, vegan, and paleo-friendly snack options.